Thursday, 15 May 2014

Mum's Toasted Muesli


Autumn is well and truly upon us! Leaves are turning shades of red, brown, orange and yellow and eventually falling to their demise to create a lovely crunch as you walk along (it's one of my little joys in life). Even at almost 24, I still have to resist the urge to jump into piles of leaves that have been so neatly swept up. 

I love all seasons...to varying degrees (was that a pun? pardon me for that). But I have a soft spot for autumn. Scarfs, beanies, big coats, jeans, boots, knits (you get the idea there), soups, stews, tea, coffee, (anything that warms the soul). And most importantly, the days a getting colder, which gives one more reason to snuggle.

However, Autumn inevitably leads to winter. With this season just around the corner I've decided to wrap myself in a scarf, take my macbook, head to a local cafe, grab a coffee and pump out another delightful post for you guys.


There is, however, a few down falls to the colder months...

I like to exercise in the morning. Usually I'm out and back before my boy Steve even wakes up. Whether it be running, walking or kettle belling, I find it's best to kick start your day with a bit of vigorous activity. But colder mornings don't give me much motivation to leave the warmth and comfort of my bed to go and run around for half an hour. Not to mention, it is still incredibly dark when I want to go running. Being a Melbournite, and a lover of TV crime, my mind tends to play tricks on me, creating the illusion that some serial killer is going to make me it's next victim...a bit dramatic I know.

With these two downfalls of the colder weather, I'll often talk myself out of exercise altogether. And when this is the case I still like to maintain a healthy breakfast. This muesli is my Mum's recipe but I may have changed some of the quantities to suit my taste. Whenever I go home, I almost always clean out her entire jar (sorry Mum). It's full of all things healthy, sugar and oil free, easy to make and is deliciously crunchy and nutty with greek yoghurt and stewed apple.

Have it with banana, strawberry, pear, apricot and I'm sure it'll will soon become a regular dish on your breakfast menu.


INGREDIENTS
4 cups Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Pepitas
1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds
1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
1 cup Almonds, roughly chopped
3/4 cup Flaked or Shredded Coconut
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Maple Syrup 

To make the muesli...
Preheat oven to 180°C and line two trays with baking paper. 

Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Gently warm the honey and maple syrup in a saucepan. Add to dry ingredients and mix together. 

Divide the muesli between the two trays and bake at 10 minutes intervals for 30 minutes. Giving the muesli a small toss with each interval (this will ensure an even baking). Allow to cool before serving. 



For something different...
  • Substitute 1 cup of Rolled oats for 1 cup of buck wheat. The toasted buckwheat gives an added crunch. 
  • Once the muesli is toasted, add some dried fruit - apricots, sultanas, apple, cranberries
  • Change the nuts - Mum has used hazelnuts in the past. As I am not a hazelnut lover I tend to stick with almonds. But use any nut you fancy. 
There really is no limit with this recipe.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Heidi, I think your blog is great. I like to check it out when I am in the mood for baking and looking for a bit of inspiration. I will have to give this muesli a try. I hope Pastry school is going well. Chloe

    ReplyDelete