Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Mocha Sandwiches


12 months ago, I didn't like coffee.

Loathed it even! 

Loved the smell, hated the taste. 


Like I said that was 12 months ago...how times have changed.

It all began when I started doing sleepover shifts for a quadriplegic chap. I'm not at night owl so I knew, in taking them on, it was not going to be much fun. I had to stay up to midnight, sometimes even 2am when the man I was looking after would come home drunk (yes, you read correctly), be awake by 7am and then do it all again the next night.

In order to survive these nights, something had to be done, and coffee became the answer. Initially, I started with mochas, the little hint of chocolate just cut out some of the bitterness that coffee posses. Then one day I just decided to have a latte, bite the bullet and just do it...it has been VERY DIFFERENT since then.


I'm hooked now! Probably addicted. 

I don't even have sugar. And I think instant is foul. It's espresso or nothing. 

I made a trip down to Melbourne after work one day and needed a double shot latte just to get me through the drive. Boy was I buzzing after that!! I was having a little disco in my car. 

My boyfriend, Steven, and I were discussing the other day that I probably need to go to Coffeeholics anonymous, "Hi my name is Heidi and I'm a coffeeholic."

Anyway, my new found love for coffee has inspired this recipe. I've used coffee grounds to really give the biscuit a good coffee kick! And it's very dear friend chocolate can be found in this slightly whipped ganache. They are so more-ish, you'll have to get a impartial party to hide them. 


INGREDIENTS
185g Butter, softened
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
1 egg
2 cups Plain Flour
3 Tablespoons Coffee Grounds
Coffee Grounds, extra 
Ganache
95g Dark Chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon Instant Coffee
80ml Cream

To make the Biscuits...
Pre heat oven to 160°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.

Beat together butter and brown sugar in an electric mixer until pale in colour. Add the vanilla and the egg and beat further until light and fluffy. On a slower speed, beat in the flour and the coffee grounds until combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together. 

Wrap dough in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden slightly. 


Once the dough has hardened, place it between two sheets of baking paper and roll out with a rolling pin until the dough is approximately 5mm thick. I like to do it between baking paper as it stops it from sticking to the bench without adding extra flour to the dough. 

Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes. I've used a flower here but you can use whatever shape you like. To get the hole in the middle of the flower (as I have done) use an apple corer. Ensuring that you only do this with half the biscuits. 

Place the shapes onto the prepared trays and sprinkle with the extra coffee grounds. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. 

Allow to cool before sandwiching with whipped Mocha Ganache. Make yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy! 



To make the ganache...
Place the instant coffee and cream into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Pour over the chopped chocolate. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes then stir until smooth. Allow to cool slightly. 

Once cooled, place in an electric mixer and beat until fluffy and pale in colour. Ensuring you don't whip too much or the cream with curdle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment