Monday, 2 December 2013

Passionfruit and Blueberry Cake


I love making birthday cakes!

So, a few months ago when my boyfriend's Mum wanted a birthday cake for his sister Alex, I couldn't say no! And given that she was turning 21, it had to be extra special. 

I decided to try something different, something I had never done before. This meant...cake trials!! Which also meant cake eating. Now, I love eating cake as much as I love making it, but the amount of exercise that is required during a cake trial to ensure the least amount of weight gain as possible is remarkable. I'm also a nurse and luckily my job requires me to run around like a headless chicken for half the shift, otherwise I might have got to be a sumo wrestler.


I wanted to do chocolate. 

Who doesn't do chocolate. 

In a few magazine's, I'd seen that the latest trend is Ombre Cake. For those of you who have been living under a rock, ombre is where the cake starts off darker at the top and becomes lighter as you get down the bottom. As you can see below.

This one was a caramel and chocolate version. Very yummy. Very nutty. But perhaps another time, I didn't feel it was special enough for this special girl. 


I finally decided on transforming my previous Lemon and Blueberry Cake recipe, as Alex is a MASSIVE lover of passionfruit. I've supplied the link above but I'll just jot down a few things that I changed in case you want to make this version:

  1. Instead of lemon zest and juice in the cake substitute for 1 can of passionfruit pulp that has been put through a sieve. 
  2. Use 1 jar of Yackandandah passionfruit Curd
  3. Make a batch of passionfruit cream cheese frosting;
125g Cream Cheese, softened
40g Butter, Softened
1- 1 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
4 fresh Passionfruit

Sieve the passionfruit to get rid of the seeds. Place all ingredients in an electric mixer and beat until fluffy. You might need extra icing sugar if it gets to runny. 



Then it was time to decorate. 

I'm not a big fan of photo cakes. But when it came time to asking my Boyfriend's Mum how she wanted the cake decorated, she was THRILLED to announce that she'd ordered an edible photo of Alex.

All in all, the cake turned out pretty, er, um, pretty. 

I wanted to use fresh flowers. You'd think being in Melbourne that getting flowers for a cake would be pretty straight forward. But believe me finding the right ones is no easy feet. And by Saturday afternoon, when I needed the cake by Sunday, panic had started to settle in. 

But a little shop in Ashburton seemed to have all the answers :) 

I ended up using little yellow roses and these purple and white ones, which for the life of me I can't remember what they're called. Even when I showed my mum, the avid gardener, the photo's she couldn't place them either. Combined with strategically placed blueberries on the top and a little blueberry border around the bottom, finished the job off nicely. 


I can't wait to make the next birthday cake...but it is nearly Christmas, which can only mean one thing...

...Gingerbread House!

Watch this space!! 



HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY ALEX!

No comments:

Post a Comment