Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Orange Glazed Sand Cake


While talking to my mum the other day, I was trying to work out my next post for you guys. I often bounce ideas off her and she makes suggestions about what tasty treats I could bake up. 

Anyway, I was gaining some wisdom from my forever wise mother and she'd asked me if I'd used my new Bundt tin yet. This was a gift from Mum and Dad for Christmas and sadly, 6 months later, I had not used it. So, she suggested that maybe I make a Sand Cake (which has always been a favourite of mine) and given it's simplicity the Bundt tin pattern really gives it more of a wow factor. 


Before you totally freak out, there is no, I repeat, NO sand in this cake! You can all breathe a sigh of relief that I wouldn't dare encourage the consumption of sand (although I can't say the same for those of you with kids as they eat whatever they want when no one is watching). 

I'm not sure why a cake would ever be named after a gritty, teeny, tiny grain of sand. But perhaps with the addition of custard powder, it is more to do with the colour rather than the texture that this cake gets its name. But whatever the story behind it, this cake is buttery, crumbly and when teamed with a tangy orange glaze, it is a winning combination. 


INGREDIENTS
185g Butter, softened
2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
1 1/4 cup Sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup Milk
1 1/2 cup Self-raising Flour
1/3 cup Custard Powder
Orange Glaze
1/2 cup Sugar
125g Butter
Zest of 1 Orange
1/3 cup Orange Juice

To make the Cake...
Preheat oven to 170°C and grease and flour your Bundt tin. Make sure you do this very well to prevent sticking and ultimately ruining the Bundt tin pattern (feel free to use any cake tin you like). 

Simply throw all ingredients into an electric mixer and beat on a low speed until combined then beat on a medium to high speed for 3 minutes, or until pale yellow in colour. 

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. You may need to cover to foil to prevent the top from burning. Remove from the oven. 

To assemble the cake...
Once the cake is removed from the oven, gradually pour over half the glaze while the cake is still in the tin (allow glaze to soak into the cake with each addition).  Cool cake completely in the tin. Once cooled, remove from the pan and pour over the remaining glaze. 

To make the Glaze...
Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.


No comments:

Post a Comment