Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Honeycomb


I love honey!

Probably nearly as much as Winnie the Pooh...

...actually probably more. Give it to me on toast, porridge, even in my tea and I'm happy. In fact, honeycomb just gives me another excuse to eat honey without being perceived as a crazy person for sometimes eating it straight out of the jar. 


I also love the process to which this honeycomb is made. I love how the sticky, sugary goo transforms into a frothy mass once you add the bicarb soda (I could've nearly eaten it at this stage but I resisted...this time). 

Crushed over ice-cream, added to muffins or simply eaten as it is, this honeycomb is sure to be hit for all you honey lovers out there. Coat it in chocolate and it can be made part of your gift giving this Easter. 


INGREDIENTS
2 cups White Sugar
1/3 cup Honey
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
120g Butter
1 Tablespoon Bicarb Soda

To make the Honeycomb...
Place the sugar, honey, maple syrup and butter into a large saucepan. Over medium heat, stir with a metal spoon until the sugar as dissolved. 

Place a candy thermometer in the saucepan and simmer or 7-8 minutes or until the mixture reaches 150°C. Remove the mixture from the heat and remove candy thermometer. Add the bicarb soda and mix until golden and foamy. 

Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm tin lined with baking paper. Set aside for 30 minutes or until set. Remove from the tin and break into chunky pieces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment