Sunday, 24 February 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I'm an early riser. 

Excessively early.

I mean 4am early. 

For those of you who don't know me, you probably think I'm crazy and the most popular question I get asked when I tell people I get up early is, 'What do you do at that hour?!?' 

Well I can give you numerous answers but what I most like to do is blog about my wonderful creations. There is such a serenity in the morning that you cannot get from late nights. Because I am the only one up I feel rather calm and relaxed and it allows me to write freely without any interruptions. 

Another perk is it sparks ideas for my new blog posts. For example...

... yesterday morning I woke up with this massive craving for Red Velvet Cupcakes. 
I've never quite understood what all the fuss was about with Red Velvet Cupcakes. I think there are more flavourable (if that's even a word) cupcakes that I would happily pick over Red Velvet. Maybe it's the colour that I, and like so many others, are drawn too. Maybe it's the coupling with cream cheese frosting that is the clincher (I know that is part of the appeal for me). 

But whatever the reason, I still love to eat them and I thought it was high time that I made some for you guys. Dead simple and I believe the perfect sized treat for a picnic.

INGREDIENTS
60g Butter, room temperature
150g Caster Sugar
1 egg
10g Cocoa 
20ml Red Food Colouring
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
120ml Buttermilk
150g Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Bircarb Soda
1 1/2 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
Frosting
300g Icing Sugar
50g Butter, room temperature
125g Cream Cheese, cold

To Make the Cupcakes...
Preheat the oven to 160°C. 

Place the butter and sugar into an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat on a high speed until well incorporated. 

In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa, red food colouring and vanilla to form a thick paste. Add the the butter mixture and thoroughly mix. You may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides to ensure it is mixed in well. 


Next, sift together the dry ingredients and alternatively add with the butter milk to the now red butter mixture. Mixing well after each addition until a uniform mixture is formed. Add in the vinegar and continue to beat for a couple of minutes. 

Spoon the mixture into a prepared muffin/cupcake tin. Bake for 15-18minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool before icing.


To make the Frosting...
In an electric mixer, beat together the butter and the icing sugar until well combined. Add in the cream cheese and beat on a high speed for around 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Pipe or spread onto cool cupcakes. 

Serve and enjoy!

My Mum bought me a new piping set for Christmas and I thought I'd give it a test run this week. I'm quite proud with how they turn out. Almost good enough to sell. 



No comments:

Post a Comment