Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Fruit Crumble Slice


If you remember at Christmas time I delighted you all with a scrumptious recipe for Fruit mince pies. Also, I showed you how versatile the fruit mince can be with my Christmas Cassata...

...that was two months ago and I still have fruit mince left. I wasn't kidding it really does keep well and, if anything, it just gets better and better with age. 

But it  raised the question HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO USE IT UP!?!?!


I've always loved crumble. A crunchie, pebble like concoction that is usually reserved for a topping on stewed fruit. But I had other ideas and hence this slice was born.

Using the same mixture for the base of the slice as well as the crumble top, this slice is buttery, crunchie and works perfectly with fruit mince. I love that while it's cooking, the fruit bubbles up, yielding it's flavours to the top layer. It has definitely hit a note for me and I can say with utmost confidence it definitely will for you too...provided you like fruit mince of course. 


INGREDIENTS
185g Butter, softened
1 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1 3/4 cup Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Bicarb Soda
1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats
1 1/2 cups Fruit Mince (Bought or Homemade)

To make the Slice...
Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease and line a 23cm square cake tin. 

In an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the sifted flour and bicarb soda and rolled oats and mix by hand until it comes together. Please note, you may need a little bit of water it the mixture is too dry. 

Place half the mixture into the prepared tin and flatten down with a spoon. Spread the fruit mince evenly over this layer and then crumble over the rest of the oat mixture to cover the fruit mince. Gently press down but not to much as to keep the crumble texture (see the pictures below). 

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is nice and golden. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting.  

First layer

Fruit mince layer

Crumble top

No comments:

Post a Comment